Tuesday, March 18, 2008

KEEPING IT REAL-Investing in Friends

Sunday was a nice day for the family. Went to Church and Pastor’s sermon was “why we need friends”. In Romans 16 it is Paul who is acknowledging those he had invested time with, he could of know them personally or just through letters. It was quite good, it made me feel good that I was making a real effort doing just this. I had made a decision to put more time into friendships about six months ago, because I had taken a 4 year leave of absence from this. I figured I had a good amount of solid friends, why make more? Then I realized that life changes people, and people change. So my long time friends are still friends and I could pick up the phone and we could talk about the things going on in our lives in of a couple of hours. We realize that we are in different stages in our lives, that is why we have drifted apart but we still know that we are there for each other.

The friendships I am now making, are different. Different because I am not the same. Like I said, life has a way of changing us. I have had my share of good times and tough times (like now) and I am reminded that GOD has a way of refining me. The friends I have been blessed with right now have been encouraging and we hold each other accountable. Our conversations go to deeper levels of “who we are inside”, we pray for each other and our situations, no negative thoughts, words, come out of our mouths if it does not edify one another. Imagine this, we can even have a conversations without talking about someone, now that is a new level of friendship. Trust me, we miss the mark, and we have to apologize for entertaining the conversation and we move forward.

I have to ask, as I was asked, do you have a special friend/friends who love you so much they hold you accountable when it comes to your character? When you are confronted by your behavior that was less favorable are you willing to hear your friend out, and receive what is being said? Are you surrounded by a lot of people you think are friends, when they really are just acquaintances? As the seasons come and go, so do friendships. The friendships I remember the most, were the ones who gave of their time, their smile, their laughter & tears and most of all their ability to care. I know that these are some of the qualities of a good friend, but these are the ones I remember the most.

No comments: